Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

April 2000Vol. 1, No. 2Children's Bureau to Fund Statewide Networks for Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention

The Children's Bureau has released a Program Instruction (PI) for States applying for Community-Based Family Resource and Support Grants for fiscal year 2000. The grants provide funding to establish statewide networks of family support programs.

The Program Instruction contains the following:

  • Requirements for recipients of Community-Based Family Resource and Support (CBFRS) Grant awards for fiscal year 2000
  • Guidance and instructions for the preparation and submission of the application.

The closing date for receipt of all CBFRS grant program applications is May 1, 2000.

Funds awarded to States under the CBFRS program must be used for:

  • Statewide networks of community-based, prevention-focused, family resource and support programs.
  • Preventive services for children and families through State and community-based public-private partnerships.
  • Specific family resource and support program services that have been identified as unmet needs.
  • Maximizing funding of statewide networks.
  • Public information activities focusing on healthy and positive development of parents and children and promotion of child abuse and neglect prevention activities.

States receive 70 percent of the CBFRS funds based on the proportional number of children under age 18 residing in each State. The remaining 30 percent of Federal funds will be matched according to the amount of funds leveraged by each State from private, State, or other non-Federal sources in the preceding fiscal year. Each State must designate a lead agency to administer the funds. The Program Instruction details the lead agency documentation requirements, as well as the documentation of leveraged funds that must be provided to receive Federal matching funds. The PI also contains several attachments, including legislative documents, statement forms, worksheets, population allocation of CBFRS Funds, certification forms, and contact lists.

States or their designated lead agency may obtain a copy of this Program Instruction or other information related to the CBFRS grant program, by contacting:
Dr. Eleanor M. Wagoner
Office of Child Abuse and Neglect
Switzer Building; Room 2421
330 C Street, SW
Washington, DC 20447
Tel.: 202-205-0749
Fax: 202-401-5917

An online version of this Program Instruction is available at: