June 2007Vol. 8, No. 5Nominations Open for Adoption Excellence Awards
Do you know of an individual or program that has made a significant contribution to promoting successful adoptions of children from foster care? If so, take the time now to nominate your candidate for an Adoption Excellence Award, to be presented to the winners in the fall of 2007 in Washington, DC. The deadline is August 17, 2007.
Each year, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Administration for Children and Families (ACF) recognizes individuals, families, and organizations that have made an outstanding contribution to providing safe, permanent, and loving homes for waiting children in foster care. Winners of the Adoption Excellence Awards are those who have demonstrated leadership, innovation, and dedication in helping children in foster care rebuild their lives and achieve permanency.
Awardees may be individuals and organizations, including States, public agencies, universities, Tribes, courts, families, faith-based organizations, businesses, and more. Awards are made in 10 categories:
- Decrease in the length of time that children in foster care wait for adoption
- Increased adoptions of older children
- Interjurisdictional adoptions
- Faith-based initiatives
- Support for adoptive families
- Individual and/or family contributions
- Philanthropy and/or business contributions
- Judicial or child welfare system improvement
- Adoption of minority children from foster care
- Media/public awareness of adoption from foster care
Nomination packets will be reviewed by a national panel of recognized adoption experts, including members of State and Federal agencies. The review panel will make recommendations for awards to the ACF Assistant Secretary. Winners will be selected on the basis of 10 criteria, including collaboration, innovation, and community involvement.
Everyone interested in making nominations, including self-nominations, is invited to visit the Children's Bureau website for more information: