Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

September 2008Vol. 9, No. 7Housing for Youth Who Age Out of Foster Care

More than half of the youth who age out of foster care are soon homeless or experience housing instability. A recent article in Child Law Practice explains the different types of Federal programs and other resources that may offer housing or funding for housing to these young adults. These include:

  • The Chafee Foster Care Independent Living Program
  • The Transitional Living Program for Homeless Youth
  • Section 8 vouchers
  • Public housing (some jurisdictions create a preference for aged-out youth)
  • Specialized housing for those with substance abuse or mental disabilities

The information provided about these programs, including population served and eligibility criteria, may help these youth and youth advocates plan in advance to meet housing needs.

"Seeking Shelter in Tough Times: Securing Housing for Youth Who Age Out of Foster Care," by Dale Margolin, appeared in Child Law Practice, Volume 27(5), and is available online: