March 2019Vol. 20, No. 2FosterClub Encourages Future Leaders Through Its Summer All-Star Internship Program
FosterClub hosts an annual All-Star internship program to encourage youth with child welfare experience to become peer leaders and advocates.
The internship consists of a 6-week leadership training program at FosterClub's headquarters in Oregon. Responsibilities consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and facilitate workshops and activities at conferences and other events
- Provide guidance and information to peers in the system
- Produce web content, publications, audio and video recordings, etc.
- Research child welfare topics
- Provide youth perspective content for supportive adults
- Write about their internship experiences
FosterClub emphasizes the following areas as goals for interns' personal growth:
- Gain a better understanding of their personal narrative to protect themselves and influence positive change in others
- Develop meaningful self-purpose (to help others and not merely be a recipient of services)
- Understand how to set healthy relationship boundaries and trust others
- Develop greater self-regulation and an understanding of the impacts of past trauma, how to maintain relationships after conflict, and how to manage stress and well-being
- Gain knowledge of the system and resources available to young adults who have been in foster care
For more information on the FosterClub All-Star internship program and to read about past interns, see https://www.fosterclub.com/what-we-do/young-leaders/all-star-internship.