March 2023Vol. 24, No. 2Spotlight on the QIC-EY National Youth Engagement Advisory Council
The National Youth Engagement Advisory Council works in collaboration with Quality Improvement Center on Engaging Youth in Finding Permanency (QIC-EY) partners to ensure authentic youth voice is integrated into the QIC-EY's processes and products. The council provides technical assistance to pilot sites working toward the realization of youth-focused systems that authentically engage youth in finding permanence.
The National Youth Engagement Advisory Council is composed of 21 members from 10 agencies from across the United States known for their partnership with youth currently or formerly in the child welfare system. The council is led by Phoenix Santiago of the New England Association of Child Welfare Commissioners and Directors who has lived expertise and professional expertise in the child welfare system. Each agency is represented by two people, one of whom has lived expertise in the child welfare system and one representative who works for the agency.
The following are the primary tasks of this council:
- Assist with the needs assessment done during the first year of the QIC-EY, including a literature review, the identification of promising practices and programs, and the provision of firsthand knowledge about what is and is not working to achieve authentic child and youth engagement in permanency discussions
- Ensure the construct of the QIC-EY and all work that is done through this initiative includes the perspective of people with lived expertise
- Provide feedback on tools, training, and products developed by the QIC-EY
- Assist with disseminating tools and products, including identifying and leveraging social media platforms
- Assist with cross-site youth engagement by providing technical assistance to youth teams in the pilot sites
The participating agencies include the following:
- Florida Youth SHINE
- Foster Care Alumni of America
- National Foster Youth Institute
- New England Youth Coalition
- Think of Us
- Three Precious Miracles
- Yakama Nation
- You Gotta Believe
- Youth Villages
For more information, listen to the experience of Phoenix Santiago, visit the QIC-EY website, and receive updates by joining the QIC-EY mailing list.