- September 2009
- Vol. 10, No. 7
User Manual on Families With Substance Use Disorders
The Children's Bureau is pleased to announce that the latest release in the Child Abuse and Neglect User Manual Series, Protecting Children in Families Affected by Substance Use Disorders, is now available for download from the Child Welfare Information Gateway website.
The manual examines:
- The nature of substance use disorders (SUDs)
- The impact of parental SUDs on child development
- In-home examination, screening, and assessment for SUDs
- Treatment goals and approaches
- The role of the child protective services (CPS) caseworker when an SUD is identified
- Differences and similarities between CPS and SUD treatment providers
- Collaborative relationships and techniques for making systems work for families
The manual is part of the third edition of the User Manual Series, developed to reflect increased knowledge and the evolving state of practice. The User Manual Series, from the Office on Child Abuse and Neglect within the Children's Bureau, provides a foundation for understanding child maltreatment and the roles and responsibilities of child welfare practitioners in prevention, identification, assessment, and treatment.
Read the manual on the Information Gateway website:
The full series of User Manuals is available on the webpage: