- November 2000
- Vol. 1, No. 7
Visit the Children's Bureau's Adoption Month Website
Participate in National Adoption Month this November by logging onto a special National Adoption Month website sponsored by the Children's Bureau at http://www.childwelfare.gov/adoption/nam/. The site was launched on November 1, 2000.
Created by the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse, the website offers information about the national observance and children waiting to be adopted in the American foster care system. It also suggests ideas to get involved in an adoption awareness campaign, including a calendar with daily tips about how to celebrate adoption and strengthen families.
In conjunction with the website, the Clearinghouse mailed nearly 4,000 packets of Adoption Month materials to adoption professionals in the States and regions. The packets contain the following items (note: the National Adoption Month packet has changed since this article was written; similar information, where applicable, is provided below):
- Clearinghouse catalog (you may search for publications at http://naic.acf.hhs.gov/general/publications/index.cfm)
- Clearinghouse Rolodex card and bookmark
- Bibliography order form
- Funding resource list (Information on Funding Resources for Adoption Services can be found at http://naic.acf.hhs.gov/pubs/reslist/rl_dsp.cfm?subjID=59&rate_chno=AR-0047A)
- "Hot Topic" publication on wrongful adoption (note: this publication is no longer available).
You can order a packet from the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse at 888-251-0075 or visit http://naic.acf.hhs.gov. (Note: these packets are no longer available to order.)
See related articles regarding adoption awareness in these issues of the Children's Bureau Express:
- "National Adoption Day Planned for November 18" (November 2000)
- "New Stamp Celebrates Adoption" (May 2000)
For a National Adoption Month Awareness Guide and National Adoption Month poster featuring waiting children from across the United States, contact the North American Council on Adoptable Children at 651-644-3036 or visit http://www.nacac.org.
For a list of National Adoption Month observance ideas, visit the Perspectives Press website at: http://www.perspectivespress.com/adoptionawareness.html.