- February 2010
- Vol. 11, No. 1
A Handbook for Youth in Foster Care
The Illinois Department of Children & Family Services (DCFS) has created a booklet specifically for children, adolescents, and young adults in the custody of DCFS. Putting It All Together provides information related to being in foster care, with the goal of providing some guidance and answers to youth who, while in the State's care, have questions and concerns about the process. Information is divided into easy-to-read sections that include:
- Why was I removed from my home?
- What will happen to me?
- How long will I be away from my home?
- The courts and court decisions
- What are my rights?
- What are the rights of my family, DCFS care provider, and caseworker?
- Living in DCFS care
- Family and friends
- Personal stuff
- School and special activities
- Will I get to visit my family?
- Beyond DCFS care
In addition, information on addressing problems or complaints about care, important phone numbers available to youth, and a youth-friendly glossary of terms are provided.
www.state.il.us/dcfs/docs/CFS%201050-70%20Putting%20it%20all%20Together.pdf (218 KB)