- May 2010
- Vol. 11, No. 4
HHS Announces Five More New Regional Directors
On April 6, 2010, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced the appointment of five new HHS Regional Directors, who will act as Secretary Sebelius's key representatives in working with Federal, State, local, and Tribal officials on health and social service issues. The new directors are:
- Christie Hager, J.D., M.P.H., Director of Region I (Based in Boston and including CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, and VT)
Ms. Hager is currently an Adjunct Lecturer on Health Policy at the Harvard School of Public Health, where she focuses on State regulation of health care and public health, health care access, and the legislative process.
- Jaime R. Torres, D.P.M., M.S., Director of Region II (Based in New York City and including NJ, NY, PR, and VI)
Dr. Torres is Associate Director of Consultative Services at Coler-Goldwater Specialty Hospital, part of New York City’s Health and Hospital Corporation, and is the founder and President of Latinos for National Health Insurance.
- Joanne Grossi, M.P.P., Director of Region III (Based in Philadelphia and including DE, DC, MD, PA, VA, and WV)
Ms. Grossi was Pennsylvania Secretary of Health and later the first-ever Director of the Office of Women’s Services, where she administered statewide programs providing assistance to women.
- Marguerite Salazar, M.A., Director of Region VIII (Based in Denver and including CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, and WY)
Since 1989, Ms. Salazar has served as President/CEO of Valley Wide Health Services, Inc., one of the largest rural Community Health Centers in the country, providing primary care to over 40,000 residents in Southern Colorado.
- Herb K. Schultz, M.P.P., Director of Region IX (Based in San Francisco and including AZ, CA, HI, NV, Guam, PI, and AS)
Mr. Shultz is Senior Advisor to Governor Schwarzenegger and the Director of the California Recovery Task Force, with responsibility for the oversight and implementation of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
Read the HHS press release on the website: www.hhs.gov/news/press/2010pres/04/20100406c.html
For contact information about the HHS Regional Offices, visit: www.hhs.gov/intergovernmental/regional/index.html#v