- November 2010
- Vol. 11, No. 9
And the Adoption Excellence Award Goes to . . .
Every year since 1997, the Children's Bureau has presented Adoption Excellence Awards to individuals, families, jurisdictions, and organizations that have made outstanding contributions to achieving permanency for children and youth in foster care awaiting families. By conferring these awards, the Children's Bureau acknowledges its commitment to the 424,000 children in foster care across the country, including the 115,000 children awaiting adoption.
On October 4, 2010, the 2010 Adoption Excellence Awards were presented to 10 recipients in five categories at a luncheon that was part of the Children's Bureau's Policy to Practice Dialogue meeting in Arlington, VA. The winners represented a broad range of backgrounds, projects, and accomplishments. What they all had in common was an extraordinary commitment to helping vulnerable children find their forever families.
- In the category of Support for Adoptive Families:
- Three Rivers Adoption Council
- Adoption Support for Kentucky
- Family Focus Adoption Services
- Children's Home + Aid of Illinois, Northern Region
- In the category of Individual Contributions:
- Janice Goldwater
- Linda Coffin
- Eileen Mullen
- In the category of Family Contributions:
- Jerome & Adrienne Welenc
- In the category of Adoption of Minority Children From Foster Care:
- Children's Home Society of Florida
- In the category of Media/Public Awareness of Adoption From Foster Care:
- Gia Tutalo-Mote
Congratulations to the 2010 winners!
Read more details about the winners and their projects on the Children's Bureau website: