- February 2012
- Vol. 13, No. 1
Emergency Preparedness Guide
The Promising Practices Network (PPN) has produced an online emergency preparedness guide for child-serving organizations. The guide provides best practices and seven steps to guide organizations through tailoring an emergency plan suited for a wide range of situations. PPN's preparedness guide also links to a sample plan with an organizational checklist.
The seven steps for developing an emergency preparedness plan are:
- Assess which risks you are most likely to encounter.
- Specify the goals of your emergency plan.
- Identify the outside organizations and people that can help you prepare for and respond to an emergency.
- Determine what actions may need to be taken in preparation for or during an emergency to achieve the goals.
- Put your plan in writing and assemble other needed documents.
- Communicate your plan to staff, parents, and other relevant individuals and organizations.
- Practice your emergency plan on a regular basis and update it as needed.
The guide, sample plan, and recommended links are available on PPN's Tools and Resources webpage: