- March 2012
- Vol. 13, No. 2
Children's Bureau Centennial Preview
The Children's Bureau's 100th birthday is only 1 month away! To celebrate this important milestone, several events and activities will take place over the course of 2012. CB's goals for the centennial are to:
- Increase CB's visibility: Enhance CB's leadership position by increasing its visibility among key stakeholders and constituents—particularly across Federal and State systems and with Tribes, national organizations, and the public.
- Stakeholder engagement—collaborate in creating a common focus: Strengthen CB's role in moving the child welfare field forward by collaborating more extensively with stakeholders to create a common focus that will culminate in a roadmap for the future of child welfare.
- Celebrate 100 years of achievement and progress: Acknowledge and applaud the important work being done across child welfare and in related fields; motivate and inspire the workforce.
To achieve these goals, and more, CB has organized the following events and activities:
- The Children's Bureau e-brochure will be published in English and Spanish and provide readers with an overview of CB's history of collaboration, assistance programs to States and Tribes, public awareness campaigns, and leadership development initiatives.
- The centennial webinar series will include four historical and eight topical webinars, each open to the public. The first historical webinar will take place on April 11 and focus on CB's first 25 years.
- CB's centennial website will be dedicated to all things centennial. Visitors will find the e-brochure, historical photos, webinar recordings, and much more.
- A short video about CB's 100 years of work protecting children and strengthening families will premiere on the CB website in late April. The video will be available in both English and Spanish.
- The centennial workgroup initiative, Voices to Vision, will engage experts and practitioners in child welfare on issues that are important to the field. Input from the sessions will be used to develop a second-century document that will provide ideas and suggestions for the next 100 years in child welfare. The second-century document will be published in March 2013.
- A commemorative e-book will be available for order through the Government Printing Office in late summer 2012.
- The second Children's Bureau Centennial Series, CB Decade-by-Decade, will examine highlights from each decade of the Children's Bureau's first 100 years. The first Centennial Series addressed some of the social issues, practices, and policies that laid the groundwork for the creation of the Children's Bureau. The second Centennial Series will feature short articles on the following:
- May 2012: The Children's Year Campaign
- June 2012: The Children's Bureau and Juvenile Court Standards
- July 2012: The Children's Bureau and the Great Depression
- August 2012: The Children's Bureau During Wartime
- September 2012: The Children's Bureau's 50th Anniversary
- October 2012: The Children’s Bureau and Family Planning
- November 2012: The Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act
- December 2012/January 2013: CB's Clearinghouses and National Resource Centers
- February 2013: The Adoption and Safe Families Act
- March 2013: Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act
Look for the new CB centennial logo on the CB website and CBX over the next year and visit the Children's Bureau website often for more centennial updates!