- December 2013
- Vol. 14, No. 9
Adoption Excellence Awards 2013
Wrapping up its celebration of National Adoption Month, the Children's Bureau announced nine winners of Adoption Excellence Awards. This year's winners represent a variety of backgrounds and accomplishments; however, each has made a significant contribution to helping promote adoptions from foster care. The diversity of their efforts is a testament to the many ways that individuals and organizations can help the more than 100,000 children in foster care awaiting permanent families.
The Children's Bureau established the Adoption Excellence Awards in 1997 to honor States, local agencies, private organizations, courts, businesses, individuals, and families for their work in increasing adoptions from foster care. Awards may be made in five categories of excellence, and winners are chosen by a committee representing nonprofit adoption agencies, child welfare and adoption advocates, adoptive parents, foundations, businesses, and State and Federal offices.
And the 2013 winners are . . .
In the category of Family Contributions:
- Gary & Cate Ingalls, Farmington, NY
- Craig & Audrey Rosenstein, Las Vegas, NV
- Steve & Kristen Marler, Casper, WY
In the category of Individuals/Professionals:
- Pat O'Brien, Brooklyn, NY
- Ruth G. McRoy, Ph.D., Chestnut Hill, MA
- Nia Vardalos, West Hollywood, CA
In the category of Business Contributions/Initiatives:
- State of Missouri and the Adoption Resource Centers, Jefferson City, MO
In the category of Media/Social Media/Public Awareness:
- Voice for Adoption, Adoptive Family Portrait Project, Washington, DC
In the category of Child Welfare/Judicial Systemic Change:
- Portland State University Postgraduate Training Certificate in Therapy with Adoptive & Foster Families Program, Portland, OR
To read more about the Adoption Excellence Awards and award winners, visit the Children's Bureau website: