- December 2014/January 2015
- Vol. 15, No. 11
Adoption Excellence Awards 2014
As part of its celebration of National Adoption Month in November, the Children's Bureau announced 13 winners of the annual Adoption Excellence Awards. This year's awards also coincided with the 10 year anniversary of the National Adoption Recruitment Campaign, a partnership among the Children's Bureau, the Ad Council, and AdoptUSKids that encourages the adoption of children from foster care. The winners of this year's awards represent a variety of backgrounds and accomplishments; however, each has made a significant contribution to helping promote adoptions from foster care.
The Children's Bureau established the Adoption Excellence Awards in 1997 to honor States, local agencies, private organizations, courts, businesses, individuals, and families for their work in increasing adoptions from foster care. Awards may be made in five categories of excellence, and winners are chosen by a committee representing nonprofit adoption agencies, child welfare and adoption advocates, adoptive parents, foundations, businesses, and State and Federal offices.
The 2014 Adoption Excellence Awards were presented to the following:
In the category of Family Contributions:
- Karen and Adam Owens, Boyertown, PA.
- John and Karen Scheele, Springwater, NY
In the category of Individuals/Professionals:
- Judge Anne Simon, New Orleans, LA
- Jennifer Roberts, Fairfax, VA
- Yolanda Demont, Orlando, FL
- Dawn Scott, Little Rock, AR
In the category of Business Contributions/Initiatives:
- Wilkes-Barre Racing, Richard Pais, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- The Washington DC and Federal City Alumnae Chapters (WDCAC & FCAC) of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Washington DC
In the category of Media/Social Media/Public Awareness:
- Children's Action Network, the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption and Triage Entertainment for A Home for the Holidays, Los Angeles, CA & Columbus, OH
- Pennsylvania Statewide Adoption and Permanency Network (SWAN), Harrisburg, PA
- Fostering Families Today, Windsor, CO
In the category of Child Welfare/Judicial Systemic Change:
- Mission West Virginia, FrameWorks, Hurricane, WV
- Merced County Human Services Agency Social Services Branch, Merced, CA
To read more about the Adoption Excellence Awards and award winners, visit the Children's Bureau website at https://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/resource/adoption-excellence-awards.