- January-February 2016
- Vol. 16, No. 10
January Special Initiative: National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
By Presidential proclamation, January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month. The National Human Trafficking Resource Center (NHTRC) defines trafficking as a crime that occurs when a trafficker uses force, fraud, or coercion to control another person for the purpose of engaging in commercial sex acts or soliciting labor or services against his/her will. Millions of men, women, and children are victims of human trafficking everyday throughout the world, including in the United States. Children and youth involved with child welfare due to abuse or neglect and then placed in foster care or group homes—as well as youth who are involved with the justice system, are homeless, or have run away—are all at high risk of being trafficked. Child welfare professionals may be interested in the below resources to learn about and help combat the human trafficking of children, this month and every month throughout the year:
- Resource Library (NHTRC)
- Human Trafficking (Child Welfare Information Gateway)
- Human Trafficking Awareness Month (National Child Traumatic Stress Network)
- National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month (Runaway and Homeless Youth Training and Technical Assistance Center) http://www.rhyttac.net/news/national-slavery-and-human-trafficking-prevention-month
- Services to Victims of Human Trafficking in the United States (Family and Youth Services Bureau)
- Office on Trafficking in Persons (Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services [HHS])
- 5 Essential Partners for Stopping Trafficking (National Clearinghouse on Families and Youth, Family and Youth Services Bureau, HHS)
Publications and more:
- Child Welfare and Human Trafficking (Child Welfare Information Gateway)
- Child Trafficking for Labor in the United States (Freedom Network USA)
http://freedomnetworkusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FINAL-April-2015-HT-and-Child-Labor.pdf (274 KB)
- Policy Brief: Preventing Sex Trafficking and Strengthening Families (Center for the Human Rights of Children, Loyola University Chicago)
http://www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/chrc/pdfs/Preventing%20Sex%20Trafficking%20Policy%20Brief%20Final%20Draft_5.6.pdf (611 KB)
- Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children/Sex Trafficking (Development Services Group, Inc. &, Office of Juvenile and Delinquency Prevention, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice)
http://www.ojjdp.gov/mpg/litreviews/CSECSexTrafficking.pdf (212 KB)
- "Human Trafficking: Responses at the State and Local Level" webinar (Coalition for Juvenile Justice)
The following items in Children's Bureau Express share additional resources related to human trafficking:
- "Human Trafficking Survivors and Resistance to Treatment"
- "Webpage on Preventing Sex Trafficking"
- "Sex Trafficking in Schools"
- "Sex Trafficking and Child Welfare"
- "Identifying Human Trafficking Victims"
- Spotlight on Child Welfare and Human Trafficking