- January/February 2017
- Vol. 17, No. 10
Strategic Communications Guide to Engage Hispanic Communities
The Child Trends Hispanic Institute and the Crimsonbridge Foundation has collaboratively developed a communications guide called Reaching and Engaging With Hispanic Communities: A Research-Informed Communication Guide for Nonprofits, Policymakers, and Funders. The purpose of this tool is to equip and assist nonprofits and human services professionals to effectively reach out to Hispanic/Latino communities, particularly low-income Hispanic families, in order to enhance service delivery systems and cost-effective measures that would save time for both clients and providers.
Information in the guide is based on reviews of available research, focus groups comprising Hispanic/Latino parents, and interviews with representatives from organizations serving the Hispanic/Latino community. This guide emphasizes the importance of building communication strategies that are culturally relevant and sensitive to how Hispanic/Latino communities prefer to get information, as well as their access to technology. The main focus of this guide is the development of the research-informed communication framework that would craft a message that inspires individuals to take initiative in utilizing resources to meet their needs. Key components of the communication framework include:
- Identify the target audience and set outreach objectives to support planning and practice.
- Create a message relevant and applicable to the target audience based on outreach objectives.
- Consolidate outreach strategies to provide channels to engage communities using appropriate and culturally sensitive language.
- Apply tactical strategies via the creation of brochures, websites and social media posts, public announcements, or interview scripts.
- Execute data collection and assessment to track and update information on the targeted population.
- Recognize communication resources and tools that encourage community members to receive services.
In addition, the guide lists 16 recommendations of best practices used by service providers, such as partnering with respected community leaders and engaging in direct person-to-person contact as often as possible.
Access Reaching and Engaging With Hispanic Communities: A Research-Informed Communication Guide for Nonprofits, Policymakers, and Funders at http://www.childtrends.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2016-51LatinoCommunicationsGuide.pdf (3,186 KB)