- December 2019/January 2020
- Vol. 20, No. 10
Safe & Sound Seeks to Strengthen Vulnerable Families
Safe & Sound is a child advocacy organization based in San Francisco that aims to raise awareness of and prevent child maltreatment. The organization's ideals revolve around strengthening families, collaborating with partners to make preventing child maltreatment a communal activity, honoring a variety of perspectives and lived experiences, focusing on strengths, using data to inform its work, and being optimistic in its work.
Safe & Sound provides support to vulnerable families and communities in the following ways:
- Advocating for laws, policies, and practices that put children first
- Collaborating with government agencies and community organizations to provide support and services to children and their parents or caregivers
- Educating children, parents, and child-serving professionals (e.g., teachers, after-school staff, first responders) on how to identify and prevent child maltreatment by offering free classes and workshops on topics such as safety and relationships
- Supporting families by helping them build upon their strengths to increase their protective factors
The organization also educates children about maltreatment through a series of classroom lessons on personal safety, assertiveness, safe versus unsafe touch, and how to develop a system of support. It also offers parents classes, workshops, parenting tips, child safety classes, a hotline (415-441-KIDS) that provides support in parenting and providing care to children, and more.
To read more about Safe & Sound and access its resources, visit https://safeandsound.org/.