- February 2020
- Vol. 21, No. 1
Safe Environment for Every Kid Training
Safe Environment of Every Kid (SEEK) is a child abuse prevention model intended to be used by professionals in pediatric primary care settings involved with families who may have risk factors for child maltreatment. This includes pediatricians, family medicine physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants.
SEEK has the following goals:
- Improve pediatric primary care to better address prevalent psychosocial problems
- Prepare pediatric primary care professionals to identify, briefly assess, and help address major risk factors for child maltreatment
- Identify families with major risk factors for child maltreatment and facilitate help
- Strengthen families, support parents and parenting, and promote children's health, development, and safety
- Prevent child abuse and neglect
Through the use of online videos and other materials, professionals are trained in the principles of motivational interviewing; the use of the SEEK Parent Questionnaire-R, which is a brief screening tool parents complete before seeing the health professional; the availability of resources for families, such as user-friendly, one-page handouts; and working collaboratively with a behavioral health colleague.
Continuing medical education credits as well as maintenance of certification categories 2 and 4 credits are also available to training participants through the American Board of Pediatrics and the American Board of Family Medicine.
For more information on SEEK, visit https://seekwellbeing.org/.