- February 2021
- Vol. 22, No. 2
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on Strengthening the Protective Capacities of Families
- Better Together Helps to Strengthen Vulnerable Families
Better Together Helps to Strengthen Vulnerable Families
Better Together is a volunteer-based nonprofit organization that is focused on primary prevention and strengthening and preserving families. It provides employment services, encouragement and support, and an alternative to out-of-home care should that be necessary.
Better Together features the following two ways to help prevent child abuse and neglect and keep families safely together:
- Better Families is focused on the primary prevention of child abuse and neglect. However, when out-of-home placement becomes necessary, Better Families' model enables parents to voluntarily place their children with a loving host family for up to a year. The average stay is 41 days, and 90 percent of families are reunited within 90 days or less. Host families are qualified volunteers who focus on caring for the children while a network of Better Families volunteers and partners provide supports to help parents improve their capacity to care for their families. About 98 percent of families in this program stay together and out of the foster care system.
- Better Jobs is focused on helping parents struggling with unemployment by matching them with prospective employers. Job seekers can consult with Better Jobs volunteers for interviewing tips, resume help, and coaching. Church-based organizers recruit other assistants, such as volunteer hairstylists, and provide business attire to help attendees prepare for interviews.
To learn more about Better Together, visit its website.