- November/December 2001
- Vol. 2, No. 6
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on National Child Abuse Prevention Month
- HHS Announces Adoption Excellence Awards
HHS Announces Adoption Excellence Awards
Fourteen winners of Adoption Excellence Awards, selected from a field of 54 nominations, were recognized on November 16 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for their dedicated work to find abandoned, neglected, or abused children permanent, loving homes.
"It's a pleasure to give these awards during National Adoption Month," said Wade F. Horn, HHS Assistant Secretary for Children and Families. "The recipients represent a small portion of the truly hundreds of stories throughout the nation of creative, persistent and life-changing work done on behalf of waiting children."
The 14 winners selected by the Secretary for Health and Human Services were:
- Increased Adoptions—Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, Family and Community Services; California Department of Social Services, Adoption Initiative Bureau.
- Increased Permanency for Children with Special Needs—Adopt 2000, Houston, TX; County of Orange Social Services Agency, CA, Orange County Adoption Consortium Caretaker Conversion Project.
- Support for Adoptive Families—T.I.E.S. for Adoption Project, Los Angeles, CA.
- Public Awareness—Jordan's Furniture, Avon, MA; New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department, Protective Services Division, Foster a Future, Foster and Adoptive Parent Recruitment Unit.
- Individual and/or Family Contributions—Professor Lucy McGough, Louisiana State University; Charles C. Harris, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services; Merri Dee, WGN-TV, Chicago, IL.
- Applied Scholarship and/or Research—Robert Bernard Hill, Ph.D., Rockville, MD.
- Philanthropy—Reed Smith LLP, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Judicial or Child Welfare System Improvement—Texas Supreme Court Task Force on Foster Care; Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, Justice, Supreme Court of Ohio.
For full description of each winner's accomplishments, download a copy of the HHS press release at: http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2001pres/20011116.html
See the following related articles in the current issue of the Children's Bureau Express:
- "HHS Awards Adoption Bonuses"
- "HHS Promotes Adoption through Discretionary and Training Grants"