- October 2021
- Vol. 22, No. 9
Updated Guide to Understanding the Adoption Tax Credit
The National Council for Adoption (NCFA) has provided an updated guide to understanding the adoption tax credit (ATC). The guide includes sections discussing the following:
- The legislative history of the ATC
- Eligibility criteria and restrictions
- How the tax credit works
- Internal Revenue Service guidelines regarding the official documentation needed for tax filing
- Advocacy efforts, particularly the ATC Refundability Act
- Frequently asked questions and additional resources
The resource also includes a real-life story of a family who adopted a child from China with special medical needs to highlight the financial challenges many families face and the difficulties that could be ameliorated with the passage of the ATC Refundability Act.
For more information, download the issue of NCFA's Adoption Advocate newsletter dedicated to the updated ATC guide.