- June 2002
- Vol. 3, No. 5
We Are Not Alone: A Guidebook for Helping Professionals and Parents Supporting Adolescent Victims of Sexual AbuseAngelica, Jade Christine. Haworth Press, Inc., Binghamton, NY. 2001. 240 pp. $24.95. Paperback.
Angelica explains the process of reporting, investigating, and prosecuting cases of adolescent sexual abuse, and the victims' needs for guidance through the social services and criminal justice systems. Victims and their families are encouraged to participate with professionals in this process as a step towards healing. To effectively assist both boys and girls who have experienced sexual abuse, it is important that those working with them have appropriate knowledge to avoid causing retraumatization. In addition to gender differences, children's emotional reactions at various stages differ. Parents and professionals can be of more assistance if they understand this. Resources consist of:
- Separate accounts of sexual abuse by a girl and a boy to help victims understand what is happening to them
- A workbook to guide victims through the adjudication process
- Guiding questions for interviewers
- A glossary of terms to facilitate adolescents' comprehension and reporting
- A list of agencies and organizations that can provide further resources, information, and educational materials.
To purchase a copy, contact:
Haworth Press, Inc.
10 Alice St.
Binghamton, NY 13904-1580