- July 2002
- Vol. 3, No. 6
Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's ParentsGray, Deborah D. Perspectives Press, Inc., Indianapolis, IN. 2002. 392 pp. $24.95. Hardcover.
Attachment problems can be the most challenging part of parenting an adopted child. Based upon years of experience, Gray provides adoptive parents with methods to improve attachment, respect, cooperation, trust, and caring, covering such topics as:
- Practicing attachment-orientated parenting
- Resolving trauma, loss, and grief issues
- Recognizing delayed emotional development and how to build emotional intelligence
- Mediating the impact of cultural change on the child
- Interviewing and working with mental health professionals
- Getting to a diagnosis.
Vignettes and anecdotes demonstrate how the above tools and techniques can work to effect positive change in attachment-challenged children. Edited by Patricia Irwin Johnston.
To purchase a copy, contact:
Perspectives Press, Inc.
PO Box 90318
Indianapolis, IN 46290-0318