- March 2003
- Vol. 4, No. 2
Military Families and Adoption
Military personnel are a largely untapped resource for children awaiting families. Now, an updated pair of products from the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse helps bring military families and waiting children together by providing information and resources unique to adoption by military families.
A fact sheet (for families) and a bulletin (for professionals) discuss both the benefits and challenges of working with military families. They also suggest creative ways to overcome some of the barriers to adoption many military families face.
- How the home study process may differ for military families
- How deployment impacts the adoption process
- Where military families can get help with the costs of adoption
- What services are available to military families after adoption
- How to get medical coverage for an adopted child
- Organizations that can assist military families pursuing adoption
The fact sheet and bulletin are available on the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse website at http://naic.acf.hhs.gov/pubs/f_milita.cfm and http://naic.acf.hhs.gov/pubs/militarybulletin.cfm, or by calling or emailing the Clearinghouse at (888) 251-0075 or email@example.com.