- April 2003
- Vol. 4, No. 3
Resources for Children's Bureau Discretionary Grant Applicants
Children's Bureau Discretionary Grant announcements are expected in late April. A number of resources are available to help potential applicants better understand and prepare for the grants process.
Applicants should consider how they will evaluate their programs. The Administration on Children, Youth, and Families (ACYF) has developed The Program Manager's Guide to Evaluation to help funded programs assess performance, measure impacts on families and communities, and document successes. The guide answers common questions, such as:
- Why evaluate your program?
- What is program evaluation?
- Who should conduct your evaluation?
- How do you hire and manage an outside evaluator?
- How do you prepare for an evaluation?
- What should you include in an evaluation?
- How do you get the information you need?
- How do you make sense of evaluation information?
- How can you report what you have learned?
An HTML version of the guide is available on the Administration for Children and Families website at www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/opre/other_resrch/pm_guide_eval/reports/pmguide/pmguide_toc.html.
Grant Management Resources, a joint product of the National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information and the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse, is another useful publication for current and potential grantees. This bulletin lists resources to support organizations in managing federally funded grants, including:
- Organizations and associations offering information, training, and networking opportunities in grants management.
- Government resources on how to apply for Federal grants, manage Federal dollars, and find key contacts in Federal grants management.
- Books about winning and managing grants.
- Articles about grants management issues.
- Journals and newsletters with up-to-date information about program management.
- Conferences and trainings to help sharpen your program management skills.
Grant Management Resources is available by contacting either Clearinghouse:
National Adoption Information Clearinghouse
Phone: (888) 251-0075
National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information
Phone: (800) FYI-3366