- Dec 2004/Jan 2005
- Vol. 5, No. 10
Recruiting and Hiring for Human Services
"Assume nothing and take a fresh look" is the advice offered to agencies struggling with workforce issues in the lead article of Hired for Good, a newsletter that advocates quality human services through innovative human resource management. The lead article suggests that recruitment strategies should focus on getting new workers on the job as quickly as possible and ensuring that these new hires know what to expect. Specifically, the article provides advice for agencies to:
- Establish a recruitment campaign that builds on agency mission and strengths
- Use screening tools that encourage self-selection
- Select candidates most likely to succeed
- Make hiring fast and simple
- Maximize the human resources budget
Other articles in the newsletter address job analysis, interview questions, a quiz on human resource management strategies, supporting new employees, and performance measurement.
Hired for Good is published by the Center for the Study of Social Policy and funded by the Annie E. Casey Foundation. It can be downloaded at www.cssp.org/uploadFiles/10071_HiredforGood_fnl.pdf (PDF - 105 KB).
The topic of recruiting and retaining workers was previously addressed in the following issues of Children's Bureau Express:
- "Addressing the Staffing Crisis in Child and Family Services" (June 2004)
- "Meeting the Challenge: Recruiting and Retaining Quality Staff" (August 2003)