- February 2005
- Vol. 6, No. 1
Online Resource for Child Welfare Training
To meet the needs of professionals working to build and strengthen the child welfare workforce, the National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect and National Adoption Information Clearinghouse have created a new online resource: Child Welfare Workforce and Training Resources. Created with the help of the American Humane Association and child welfare training experts from across the country, this resource allows professionals to search for and find research on the child welfare workforce, training organizations, training curriculums, and other relevant training resources by topic.
Abstracts of reports, relevant websites, and other documents from the Clearinghouse Library from 2000 to the present are available in the following categories:
- About the child welfare workforce (includes vacancy and turnover rates, worker characteristics, and work environment)
- Strategies to prepare, recruit, and hire staff (includes strategies on compensation and incentives, screening and interviewing, university-agency partnerships, worker characteristics and competencies)
- Strategies to retain staff (includes compensation and recognition, improving the work environment, managing caseloads and workloads, and professional development and growth)
Selected curriculum and other training materials in the Clearinghouse Library from 2000 to the present are available for each of the following categories:
- Supervisors and administrators
- Birth, foster, kinship, and adoptive parents
- Other professionals and community members
- Specialized professional training
The Clearinghouse maintains information on education programs organized by training topic or location for the child welfare workforce and training organizations. Education programs for the child welfare workforce can be located through a searchable database of graduate programs in social work with a child welfare focus and links to graduate and undergraduate programs in social work. Training organizations can be located through a searchable database of national, tribal, and State organizations that offer child welfare training.
Visitors to the website are encouraged to update or submit new information and materials for inclusion in the searchable database, as well as communicate with other professionals interested in child welfare training.
- Visit the Online Organization Update Tool to add or update information on your training organization at http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/profess/workforce/educate_train/add_update_train_orgs.cfm.
- Offer suggestions about new information and materials at http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/admin/suggestions.cfm.
- Sign up to communicate with other training professionals through the Child Welfare Workforce and Training listserv at http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/profess/workforce/wdtr_listserv_join.cfm.
[Editor's note: The above links are no longer available. For information about child welfare training, visit Child Welfare Information Gateway: www.childwelfare.gov/management/training ]