- August 2007
- Vol. 8, No. 7
Online Adoption Courses
Two new online courses developed by Adopting Learning Partners are designed to educate prospective adoptive parents about specific child populations. The first, Adopting the Older Child, can help parents determine whether adopting an older child, either internationally or through the domestic child welfare system, is right for them.
This course is designed to help parents:
- Consider their expectations of older child adoption
- Understand the importance of the child's history
- Develop strategies for integrating an older child into the existing family unit
- Identify the challenges specific to older adopted children
- Understand when and where to seek assistance
A second new course, Medical Issues in International Adoption, will be available later this summer.
Adoption Learning Partners (ALP) offers web-based educational resources for adoptive parents, adopted individuals, and birth parents. Courses are available on an array of adoption issues, including interethnic adoption, attachment issues, creating lifebooks, and adoption tax credits.