February 2012, Vol. 13, No. 1
Print this page
Strategies and Tools for Practice
Emergency Preparedness Guide
The Promising Practices Network (PPN) has produced an online emergency preparedness guide for child-serving organizations. The guide provides best practices and seven steps to guide organizations through tailoring an emergency plan suited for a wide range of situations. PPN's preparedness guide also links to a sample plan with an organizational checklist.
The seven steps for developing an emergency preparedness plan are:
- Assess which risks you are most likely to encounter.
- Specify the goals of your emergency plan.
- Identify the outside organizations and people that can help you prepare for and respond to an emergency.
- Determine what actions may need to be taken in preparation for or during an emergency to achieve the goals.
- Put your plan in writing and assemble other needed documents.
- Communicate your plan to staff, parents, and other relevant individuals and organizations.
- Practice your emergency plan on a regular basis and update it as needed.
The guide, sample plan, and recommended links are available on PPN's Tools and Resources webpage:
Articles in Children's Bureau Express are presented for informational purposes only; their inclusion does not represent an endorsement by the Children's Bureau or Child Welfare Information Gateway.
Children's Bureau Express does not disclose, give, sell, or transfer any personal information, including email addresses, unless required for law enforcement by statute.
Contact us at email@example.com.
Return to article.