- November 2000
- Vol. 1, No. 7
News From the Children's Bureau
- Visit the Children's Bureau's Adoption Month Website
Participate in National Adoption Month this November by logging onto a special National Adoption Month website sponsored by the Children's Bureau at http://www.childwelfare.gov/adoption/nam/. The...
- Federal Legislation Enacted on International Adoption
Legislation that affects U.S. adoptions of overseas orphans was recently signed into law by the President. In 1999, more than 16,000 orphans from other nations were adopted by U.S. citizens.
- President Signs Law Promoting Children's Health
A comprehensive, bipartisan children's health bill reauthorizing and expanding several programs was signed into law by the President on October 17.
The legislation focuses on the following...
- New Federal Law Aims to Strengthen Child Abuse and Neglect Courts
A new law signed by President Clinton October 17 authorizes Federal funding for courts to implement the Adoption and Safe Families Act (ASFA) and to better track children served in child abuse and...
- Study Considers History of Children's Bureau as Children's Advocate
The definition of childhood and the role that the Federal government has played in advocating for children has changed over the last century. Author Kristie Lindenmeyer provides an historical...
- HHS Awards Adoption Bonuses and Grants
States that increased adoptions of children waiting in the foster care system received bonuses from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) in September.
Forty-four States, the...
- Five Universities Receive Federal Funding for Child Maltreatment Research
The Administration for Children and Families (ACF) recently awarded nearly $344,000 to five universities for fellowships in the field of child abuse and neglect. The awards are given to encourage...
- National Resource Center Helps Child Welfare Courts Improve
Learn what child welfare courts are doing nationwide to improve their services to children and families through the "National Child Welfare Court Improvement Catalog".
Issued jointly by the...
- NRC for Foster Care and Permanency Planning Partners With Casey Family Programs
The National Resource Center for Foster Care and Permanency Planning (NRCFCPP) will partner with the Casey National Center for Resource Family Support (CNC) to examine how dual licensing of foster...