- Dec 2009/Jan 2010
- Vol. 10, No. 10
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on Youth Involvement
Spotlight on Youth Involvement
This month, CBX spotlights Youth Involvement, linking you to reports on how youth in foster care or formerly in care are participating in their own permanency planning and contributing their ideas about ways to improve the child welfare system.
- Youth Contribute to Study on Youth Permanency Experiences
Youth who age out of foster care are in the best position to comment on the needs of this population. A recent study on youth aging out of care, Developing Permanent, Supportive Connections While...
- Promoting Youth Involvement in a System of Care
Transitioning to adulthood is particularly difficult for youth who have had contact with the child welfare system. The Dauphin County, PA, Systems of Care (SOC) initiative, funded by the...
- Resource Center for Positive Youth Development and Leadership
The National Clearinghouse on Families & Youth (NCFY) has developed informational and training materials on positive youth development and youth leadership that are now available on the NCFY...
- Encouraging Youth Involvement in Dependency Hearings
The voices of young people in foster care are rarely heard in the courtroom, where adults make critical decisions about the youths' lives. A recent article, "Where Are All the Children?...
- The Emancipated Youth Connections Project
The California Permanency for Youth Project (CPYP) works with California counties to ensure that youth leave foster care with some kind of permanent connection with a caring adult. The CPYP...
- Supporting Youth Transitioning to College
Youth emerging from foster care face special challenges in attending college, including making the transition to college life, applying for financial aid, and finding housing during breaks. A new...
- Youth Leaders Speak Out About Foster Care and Permanency
The 2008 Destination Future: National Youth Leadership Development Conference brought together youth leaders in foster care or formerly in care from around the country to discuss their experiences...
- Youth Voice Toolbox: Empowering Youth with Purpose
Engaging young people can build a strong sense of community, a commitment to civic action, and a passion for active learning. The Youth Voice Toolbox produced by the FreeChild Project provides...
- Voices From the 2008 National Convening on Youth Permanence
More than 30 youth and alumni from foster care attending the 2008 National Convening on Youth Permanence participated in an impromptu session facilitated by the Annie E. Casey Foundation's Family...