- June 2011
- Vol. 12, No. 5
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on Diversity in Child Welfare
Spotlight on Diversity in Child Welfare
CBX spotlights Diversity in Child Welfare, bringing together resources on child welfare research and practice with diverse populations, including information on cultural competency and racial disproportionality.
- GLBT Issues in Foster Care and Adoption
A recent special issue of the Journal of GLBT Family Studies focuses on foster care and adoption by gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) parents. The journal's introduction by Scott D....
- Inua Ubuntu: A Community Response to Disproportionality
Similar to many communities across the country, the Allegheny County Department of Human Services (DHS) in Pittsburgh, PA, recognizes the problem of racial disproportionality within its child...
- Historical Trauma, Microaggression, and American Indian Families
The overrepresentation of American Indian and Alaska Native children in many States' child welfare systems has prompted calls for a greater understanding of the impact of historical trauma on...
- Reducing Disproportionality Through Supervision
A recent article in American Humane's Protecting Children (Vol. 25) looks at the overrepresentation of African-American children in child welfare and offers innovative strategies for worker...
- Engaging Communities and Organizations to Support Adoption
The latest issue of The Roundtable, published by the National Resource Center for Adoption (NRCA), focuses on the issue of "partnering communities of color and supporting adoptive...
- Immigrant Families in Child Welfare
A recent issue of the Virginia Child Protection Newsletter provides a broad overview of many of the issues facing child welfare systems as they serve a growing and increasingly diverse immigrant...
- Racial Disproportionality Conference Materials
“Race and Child Welfare: Disproportionality, Disparity, Discrimination: Re-Assessing the Facts, Re-Thinking the Policy Options” was the theme of a conference held at Harvard Law School...