- January/February 2001
- Vol. 2, No. 1
- The Relational Trauma of Incest: A Family-Based Approach to Treatment
Sheinberg, M.; Fraenkel, P. Guilford Publications, Inc., New York, NY. 2001. 240 pp. $23.00. Hardbound.
Seeking to provide new understanding of incest and its effects on children, the...
- Does Family Preservation Serve a Child's Best Interests? Controversies in Public Policy Series
Altstein, H.; McRoy, R. Georgetown Univ. Press, Washington, DC. 2000. 168 pp. $17.95. Paperback.
McRoy advocates keeping families together whenever possible. Alstein doubts that family...
- Body Language of the Abused Child
Rankin, J. A. Rankin File, Springfield, VA. 2000. 276 pp. $30.00. Paperback.
Child victims of abuse are not always capable of relating what has happened to them. Social workers, CPS...
- Evaluating Child Sexual Abuse: Education Manual for Medical Professionals
Botash, A. S. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD. 2000. 256 pp. with a videocassette. $27.50. Spiral Bound.
Designed as a home-based, self-study training program, this workbook is...
- Our Own: Adopting and Parenting the Older Child
Maskew, T. Snowcap Press, Longmont, CO. 1999. 284 pp. $23.95. Hardbound.
When older children are adopted, they bring their past with them, including their experiences, personalities, and...
- Stopping Child Maltreatment Before it Starts: Emerging Horizons in Early Home Visitation Services
Sage Sourcebooks for the Human Services Series. Guterman, N. B. Sage Publications, Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA. 2001. 262 pp. $27.50. Paperback.
Preventing abuse and neglect of children is the...
- Adoption Nation: How the Adoption Revolution is Transforming America
Pertman, A. Basic Books, New York, NY. 2000. 271 pp. $25.00. Hardbound.
Pertman presents his analysis of the adoption process as it exists in the United States today based on research,...
- Research on Romanian Children Shows Age Factors into Attachment Disorder
Childhood development research has consistently shown the importance of bonding to an adult during the first years of life. In a 6-year study of post-institutionalized children adopted from...
- New Listserve Connects Child Welfare Training Professionals
Get connected to professionals engaged in child welfare training through a new listserve designed to facilitate communication and networking.
Managed by the Child Welfare Training Resources...
- Online Newsletters Aid Foster Parents and Child Welfare Social Workers
Log on to the North Carolina Family and Children's Resource Program website, to access the free, online versions of three child welfare and training newsletters, developed in collaboration with...
- Report Highlights Improvements in Dependency Courts
State courts, legislators, and program coordinators can read about different approaches to court improvement in the "Court Improvement Progress Report 2000 Update."
State summaries and a State...
- Helping Parents Recognize Child Abuse
The Nemours Foundation's website, KidsHealth.org, helps families answer a wide range of health and wellness questions. In its area for parents, a new article describes how to recognize signs of...
- How Does Privatizing Human Services Affect Children?
How do children fare when human services are privatized? A series of three fact sheets from the National Association of Child Advocates examines this question.
In the first fact sheet, the...
- Domestic Violence Definitions Are Newest in State Statutes Series
Over half of all 50 States have enacted domestic violence legislation that specifically recognizes children as a class of persons to be protected.
These statutory definitions are summarized...