- September 2017
- Vol. 18, No. 6
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on Kinship Care
Spotlight on Kinship Care
Read about new kinship care guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics that highlight how doctors can take a more active role in promoting safety and well-being in kinship care families, the positive effects of kinship care on youth, a pilot study on a training program for strengthening the bonds between young children and their kinship caregivers, and additional information regarding kinship care and the child welfare system.
- New Kinship Care Guidelines From the American Academy of Pediatrics
As an increasing number of grandparents and other family relatives care for children in formal or informal care arrangements, pediatricians can help by better understanding the unique needs of...
- Study Examines Educational Outcomes of Youth in Kinship and Foster Care
Children in kinship and foster care have historically lagged behind their peers in educational outcomes. A recent literature review explores the educational risk and protective factors associated...
- Kinship Involvement Linked to Better Psychological Adjustment for Youth
Youth in foster care have fewer psychological adjustment issues and negative behaviors when extended and noncustodial family members are involved in their lives, according to a recent study. ...
- Study Shows Effectiveness of Parenting Skills Training for Kinship Caregivers
A pilot study has shown promising results for the feasibility and usefulness of a training program for strengthening the bonds between young children and their kinship caregivers. The program...
- New Research on the Characteristics, Needs of Kinship Adoptive Families
A literature review article in a recent issue of the journal Adoption Quarterly focuses on the latest research on placement decisions and outcomes for children adopted by relatives. The article,...
- OPRE Report Looks at Childhood Obesity Dilemma in Head Start Programs
One of the most pressing health concerns confronting Head Start and Early Head Start (HS/EHS) programs is the prevalence of children served by HS/EHS who are overweight and obese and their...
- CB Website Updates
The Children's Bureau website hosts information on child welfare programs, funding, monitoring, training and technical assistance, laws, statistics, research, federal reporting, and much more. ...
- Report Points to Power of Positive Experiences to Overcome Childhood Adversity
A new report from Casey Family Programs explores emerging research that links positive experiences in childhood with healthy outcomes for children and families and their ability to mitigate the...
- Pediatricians Recommend Shared Decision-Making for Families of Children With Disabilities
A new clinical report from the American Academy of Pediatrics explores a systematic approach to implementing shared decision-making (SDM) when working with children with disabilities and their...
- Podcasts Highlight Programs Connecting Kinship Caregivers With Support Services
Child Welfare Information Gateway launched a two-part podcast series called Supporting Kinship Caregivers to highlight successful examples of state and local programs that connect kinship families...
- Tips for Child Welfare Attorneys on Understanding the Impact of Trauma
Attorneys representing child welfare clients should understand the impact of trauma on children, youth, and families to improve outcomes for their clients. A joint article by the National Child...
- Webinar Focuses on Early Childhood Integrated Data Systems
In a webinar from the Early Childhood Data Collaborative, two states describe their experiences with collecting early childhood data and the implications for state programs and policies....
- New SAMHSA Materials Inform Families About Mental Health Disorders
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) created a suite of educational materials to help caregivers and youth learn about the symptoms and treatment options for a...
- Evidence-Based Treatments for Bipolar Disorder in Children and Youth
A new webinar explores evidence-based treatments for bipolar disorder in children and youth. The webinar looks at criteria for juvenile-onset bipolar disorder versus adult bipolar disorder, the...
Upcoming national conferences and events on child welfare and adoption include the following:September * 5th Annual Safe & Together Model Symposium Safe and Together Institute ...