- September 2018
- Vol. 19, No. 7
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on Workforce Development
Spotlight on Workforce Development
In this month's issue, read an address from Jerry Milner, Associate Commissioner of the Children's Bureau, highlighting the importance of developing a competent and stable child welfare workforce and the need for partnerships among stakeholders, as well as spotlight articles highlighting the personal, educational, and professional needs of the child welfare workforce and other professionals and stakeholders working to better the lives of children, youth, and families.
- The Need for an Expanded View of the Child Welfare Workforce
Written by Jerry Milner. National Workforce Month provides an opportunity to express gratitude for all who choose to work in child welfare. It is difficult and often thankless work, but it...
- Turnover Among Wraparound Care Coordinators
Frequent turnover among wraparound care coordinators can have a negative impact on the children, youth, and families they serve as well as on other wraparound services staff. A recent article from...
- Beyond Case Management: Improving Caseworker Skills
Due to time constraints, policies, and other considerations, child welfare caseworkers often are relegated to conducting case management activities rather than engaging in more clinically oriented...
- Virtual Child Welfare Expo 2018
On Thursday, July 12, 2018, the Capacity Building Center for States, a service of the Children's Bureau, hosted the third annual Virtual Child Welfare Expo. This year's theme was "Fostering a...
- Exploring the Self-Care Practices of Child Welfare Workers
Research has shown that child welfare workers experience higher rates of vicarious trauma, workplace stress, and compassion fatigue than other social service workers and that practicing self-care...
- Exploring National Child Welfare Workforce Institute Tools and Resources
The National Child Welfare Workforce Institute (NCWWI) produced a webinar series called Tools of the Trade 2018 to help child welfare professionals get the most out of the resources provided on...
- Supporting the Psychological Well-Being of the Early Care and Education Workforce
Although much effort has been put into improving the competency and knowledge of early care and education (ECE) professionals, research suggests supporting the mental health needs of ECE staff...
- The Important Role of Lawyers as Partners in Prevention
Attorneys and judges play an important role in the child welfare system and helping to keep children safe. A recent article in Child Law Practice Today written by Jerry Milner, Associate...
- Improving Legal Services for Children and Families
A recent post on the Rethinking Foster Care blog proposes changes to how legal services are delivered in order to better serve children and families who are at risk or currently involved with the...