- October 2018
- Vol. 19, No. 8
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on Community-Based Primary Prevention
Spotlight on Community-Based Primary Prevention
In this month's issue of CBX, read a message from Jerry Milner, Associate Commissioner of the Children's Bureau, that highlights the opportunity for the child welfare system and its partners to invest in helping to make families more self-sufficient and increasing protective factors that can prevent entry into the foster care system. The issue also features articles focusing on how community partnerships can help prevent child maltreatment before it starts, provide support and services, and help children and families recover.
- The Need for a Primary Prevention-Focused Child Welfare System
Written by Jerry Milner. Everyone that reads this article is likely aware that our foster care population is continuing to rise. We are up to over 437,000 children in foster care, and the...
- 2020: Building Communities of Hope
Casey Family Programs launched the nationwide initiative 2020: Building Communities of Hope to improve the safety and success of children and their families and ultimately prevent entry into...
- Engaging Communities
The National Child Abuse and Neglect Technical Assistance and Strategic Dissemination Center (CANTASD), a service of the Children's Bureau, has a webpage that focuses on engaging communities in...
- Child Welfare Practice Within the Context of Public–Private Partnerships
An article in Social Work discusses how child welfare practice operates within a partnership between public agencies, which have a statutory mandate to provide child welfare services, and private...
- Funding Opportunity Announcement: Community Collaborations to Strengthen and Preserve Families
The Administration for Children and Families (ACF) released a funding opportunity announcement (FOA) —HHS-2018-ACF-ACYF-CA-1351: Community Collaborations to Strengthen and Preserve Families—to...
- Special Journal Issue Highlights the Public Health Model of Child Maltreatment Prevention
Child maltreatment is a major public health concern in the United States. Children who have experienced maltreatment often suffer long-term consequences to their emotional and physical health,...
- Improving Child Welfare Outcomes: Balancing Investments in Prevention and Treatment
Child maltreatment and subsequent involvement in the child welfare system can have far-reaching negative effects on children and youth that can last into adulthood, increasing their risk for...