- December 2020
- Vol. 21, No. 9
- Children's Bureau Express
- News From the Children's Bureau
News From the Children's Bureau
We feature letters from Jerry Milner to child welfare leaders on the needs and concerns of young leaders and the importance of ensuring families have access to the judicial system during these challenging times, an update on the Institute for Family and how to subscribe to its new webinar series, a Philadelphia program that recently added a peer advocate to its wraparound services, recent research about how parental substance use affects child welfare, new contributions from the Capacity Building Center for States, and more.
- Message on COVID-19 From the Children’s Bureau
The Children's Bureau created a webpage with the latest information on COVID-19 that includes everyday preventive actions to avoid infection as well as the latest guidance from the Centers for...
- Letter From Jerry Milner Shares Themes From Roundtable Discussions With Young Leaders
A letter from Associate Commissioner Jerry Milner to child welfare leaders highlights themes that emerged from a series of 12 roundtable discussions with youth currently or formerly in foster...
- Letter From Jerry Milner Urging Courts to Continue Providing Judicial Oversight in Child Welfare Proceedings
On December 4, 2020, Associate Commissioner Jerry Milner issued a letter urging agencies and courts to continue working together to ensure that critical court hearings occur and to give thoughtful...
- Institute for Family Launches New Webinar Series
Written by Matt Anderson, director, Institute for Family The Institute for Family is an emerging platform to bring together youth, parents, families, and professionals to catalyze the movement to...
- Community Legal Services of Philadelphia's Family Defense Model Now Includes a Peer Advocate
Community Legal Services of Philadelphia is a family advocacy program that aims to strengthen families, keep children in their homes and communities, and safely reunify separated families whenever...
- Using Research to Help Child Welfare Support Children and Families Impacted by Prenatal Exposure to Alcohol and Other Substances
Parental substance use is estimated to play a role in at least half of child welfare cases, yet child welfare agencies need more research and guidance to identify and serve impacted...
- Building Capacity in Child Welfare
Capacity-building services are an important aspect of the Children's Bureau's approach to supporting states, tribes, territories, and courts with implementing federally funded programs, meeting...
- Use What You Have: Supporting the Child Welfare Workforce During a Disaster
Written by the Capacity Building Center for States The past year's public health crisis and natural disasters have been especially challenging for the child welfare workforce. Throughout the...
- CB Website Updates
The Children's Bureau website hosts information on child welfare programs, funding, monitoring, training and technical assistance, laws, statistics, research, federal reporting, and much more. ...