- February/March 2002
- Vol. 3, No. 2
News From the Children's Bureau
- President Bush Focuses on Fathers, Foster Youth, in FY03 Budget
President Bush's proposed FY 2003 budget for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) keeps funding about level for most child welfare and adoption-related programs, but seeks additional...
- Reauthorized Safe and Stable Families Program Adds Emphasis on Marriage, Education for Foster Youth
President Bush signed the Promoting Safe and Stable Families Amendments of 2001 (H.R. 2873) into law on January 17, reauthorizing the program through 2006.
The legislation authorizes $305...
- FY 2002 Funds Appropriated for Health and Human Services
Federal appropriations for programs related to child abuse and neglect, child welfare, and adoption for FY 2002 were signed into law January 10.
The FY02 appropriations law, P.L. 107-116,...
- News From the Child Welfare Training Resources (CWTR) Online Network: Training Resource Guide Under Development
The Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) and the Administration for Children, Youth and Families (ACYF) have, in recent years, worked together to assist States and localities in their...
- Call for Materials on Racial and Ethnic Disproportionalities in the Child Welfare System
A project funded by the Children's Bureau is seeking input from writers and researchers whose work focuses on racial and ethnic disproportionalities in the child welfare system.
- New Grants From HHS Support Older Caregivers of Young Relatives
Older relatives who care for young kin are among the family caregivers targeted for help by new grants awarded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson...
- What Is Charitable Choice?
Charitable Choice is a legislative provision designed to improve access to certain Federal funds by faith based organizations. Within HHS, Charitable Choice applies to funding administered by the...
- HHS Launches New Center for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives
A new center at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) aims to ensure "a level playing field" for faith-based and community organizations seeking Federal funding for delivery of...
- Free Training and Technical Assistance on Strategic Planning for Courts
The National Child Welfare Resource Center on Legal and Judicial Issues and the National Child Welfare Resource Center for Organizational Improvement are offering free training and technical...