Child Welfare News
- National Fatherhood Group Examines Statistical Trends in U.S. Families
Drawing on data from a variety of sources, the fourth edition of "Father Facts" examines a long list of family-related topics including father absence, single-parent families, out-of-wedlock...
- Report Defines Psychological Mistreatment of Children, Describes its Consequences
A new report from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) aims to heighten pediatricians' awareness of the psychological maltreatment of children.
The report was published in the April 2002...
- CDC Analyzes Statistics on Infant Homicides
The first and eighth weeks of an infant's life are the most deadly according to an analysis of infant deaths by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). A CDC study published in the March 8...
- New Study Looks at the Well-Being of Children in the Child Welfare System
A study from the Urban Institute finds that children involved in the child welfare system are not faring well emotionally, behaviorally, educationally, or physically.
The report, entitled "The...
- Two Reports Aim Attention at Children in Poverty
The National Center for Children in Poverty has recently released reports that deal with the potentially positive role of community development corporations (CDCs) in the lives of poor children,...
- New Bilingual Phrase Book for Child Abuse Referrals
A new English-Spanish phrase book aims to remove communication barriers that many social workers encounter when responding to child abuse referrals. Revised from a 1993 edition, the newly...
- Adoption Community Connects Online Through E-Magazines, Listserve
Adoption professionals and members of the "adoption triad"--adoptees, adoptive families, and birthparents--can keep up-to-date with developments in the field through two free e-magazines. A new...
- New Child Welfare Practice Series Available Online
Learn about new ideas in child welfare on the Internet. The Child Welfare Institute has launched a new online resource for child welfare professionals entitled "Making a Difference That Matters."...