- October 2008
- Vol. 9, No. 8
- Children's Bureau Express
- Spotlight on Substance Abuse and Child Welfare
Spotlight on Substance Abuse and Child Welfare
In this month's theme section, CBX focuses on the intersection of substance abuse and child welfare, with articles on two Children's Bureau grant clusters and recent resources and information, particularly in the area of cross-system collaboration among child welfare, substance abuse treatment, and the courts.
- Regional Partnership Grants Strive to Improve the Lives of Children and Families Affected by Methamphetamine and Other Substance Abuse
States and communities across the nation are struggling to address the safety, permanency, and well-being of children in families in which a parent's substance use has placed children at risk of...
- The SAMHSA Website for Child Welfare Professionals
Child welfare professionals who deal with families' substance use and the problems inherent in such use will find numerous resources on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Substance...
- Webinars on Substance Use in Tribal Communities
In June 2008, the Administration for Children and Families (Region 10), the National Center on Substance Abuse and Child Welfare, and the National Indian Child Welfare Association hosted two...
- Implementing CAPTA Requirements to Help Substance-Exposed Newborns
The impact of substance abuse on the well-being and safety of children is receiving increasing attention. Working to ensure the well-being and safety of children, professionals from child welfare,...
- Understanding Barriers to Effective Interagency Collaboration to Address Substance Abuse
Research during the past decade has documented the importance of developing interagency collaboration among child welfare professionals, substance abuse treatment providers, and the court system...
- Evidence-Based Treatments for Parental Substance Abuse
In an effort to determine the types of treatment approaches most effective with substance abusing parents in the child welfare system, a new study examined both individual-level interventions and...
- New Substance Abuse Resources
Child Welfare Information Gateway recently updated its website's Substance Abuse section to provide child welfare, substance abuse, and related professionals with information on effective casework...