- May/June 2001
- Vol. 2, No. 3
Current Theme or Topic
- May Is National Foster Care Month
Take a foster family to lunch in May, or send a thank you note to people you know who are involved with foster care. Those are just a couple of the ideas suggested in the National Foster Care...
- Efforts to Improve State Reporting on Foster Care and Adoption Are Paying Off
How many U.S. children are in foster care? For many years, no one could answer that question with confidence. But this summer, the Department of Health and Human Services will release reliable...
- Study Examines a Successful Independent Living Program for High Risk Youth
Adolescents leaving the foster care system face many challenges as they work toward self-sufficiency. A privately funded program developed in 1984 by The Children's Village was created to boost...
- Supporting the Transition to Adulthood of Youth in Foster Care
Based on a two-year study funded by the Annie E. Casey Foundation, a new report aims to identify criteria that characterize high-quality practices for helping youth move from foster care to...
- FosterClub: Online Resources for Foster Kids and their Parents
Foster children can gain valuable support, motivation, and insight from each other. Through an online community known as the FosterClub, these networks are forming not only among foster children...
- Foster Children and Medicaid
A new report from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, examines the health care needs of foster children, and how those needs are being met through Medicaid.
The study, conducted...
- Attracting and Supporting Foster Families
Research confirms what practitioners already know—the number of children entering foster care keeps climbing, and the number of foster families is not keeping pace. A new release from the Casey...
- Faith-based Campaigns: Answering the Call to Find Homes for Waiting Children
Religious groups can be an important ally in recruiting families, providing support, and adopting children from the foster care system. The North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC)...
- Publication Addresses New Questions and Answers About the Foster Care Independence Act
The National Foster Care Awareness Project has just released "Frequently Asked Questions II About the Foster Care Independence Act of 1999 (FCIA) and the John H. Chafee Foster Care Independence...