- July/August 2019
- Vol. 20, No. 6
- Children's Bureau Express
- Current Theme or Topic
Current Theme or Topic
This issue of CBX highlights how building evidence and utilizing evidence-based practices can improve the programs, services, and tools used to support families served by the child welfare system. Read a message from Jerry Milner, Associate Commissioner of the Children's Bureau, and David Kelly, Special Assistant to the Associate Commissioner, about the need to balance evidence in child welfare to ensure that the child welfare system not only acts in response to trauma but focuses on ways to prevent trauma. The issue also includes a variety of resources and publications featuring evidence-based practices and how they improve the capacity of agencies and organizations to identify, assess, and implement strategies supported by research.
- The Need to Balance the Evidence in Child Welfare
Written by Jerry Milner and David Kelly In recent years, talk of evidence has dominated the field of child welfare. During this time, grants have been awarded, research has been conducted, and...
- Extraordinary Work Requires Extraordinary Evidence
Written by Lee Porter, chief program officer, Children's Trust of South Carolina Using evidence-based programs (EBPs) and building evidence to support family strengthening isn't only for...
- New Study Shows Providing Parents With Multidisciplinary Legal Representation in Child Welfare Cases Furthers Everyone's Interests
Written by Martin Guggenheim, Fiorello LaGuardia Professor of Clinical Law and co-director, Family Defense Clinic, New York University School of Law The child welfare canon holds that children...
- Evaluating the Allegheny County Family Support Center Network
Written by Marc Cherna, director, Allegheny County Department of Human Services Allegheny County, PA, is home to a network of 28 family support centers (FSCs) serving approximately 3,600...
- Exploring How We Build, Understand, and Apply Evidence in Child Welfare: The 2019 National Child Welfare Evaluation Summit and Child Welfare Virtual Expo
Written by the Capacity Building Center for States How do we determine which practices and programs are most likely to produce the best outcomes for the children, youth, and families we serve?...