This month's issue of CBX highlights National Child Abuse Prevention Month and the importance of supporting and strengthening families. Read a message from Jerry Milner, Associate Commissioner of the Children's Bureau, and David Kelly, special assistant to the Associate Commissioner, that emphasizes channeling the energy garnered by special initiatives and awareness efforts into actions that strengthen families in ways that enable them to care for their children safely. The issue also provides important guidance from the Children's Bureau regarding the coronavirus pandemic, including messages from Jerry Milner to child welfare and legal and judicial leaders focusing on ensuring the safety and well-being of children during these trying times.
- How Can Civil Legal Aid Help Keep Families Together and Kids Out of Foster Care?
- Choose Compassion When Supporting Parents
- The Need for a Prevention Throughline in Family Policy
- My Community Cares: A Multitiered, Multidisciplinary, and Neighborhood-Driven Approach to Preventing
- Buying a Bracelet Will Not Prevent Child Abuse
- Maintaining Emotional Connectedness While Physically Distant
Spotlight on National Adoption Month
Spotlight on Youth Homelessness
News From the Children's Bureau
Read about the Children's Bureau's response to the COVID-19 pandemic, including guidance on how to continue to support families during a time of social distancing and the latest information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Also included in this section are what's new for this year's National Child Abuse Prevention Month initiative and the 2019/2020 Prevention Resource Guide, a handbook explaining how the prevention services clearinghouse will review programs to determine their eligibility for title IV-E funding, a webpage that provides up-to-date information on title IV-E programs, and a brief listing of the latest additions to the Children's Bureau website.
- Virtual Town Hall for Older Youth in Foster Care on COVID-19
- Title IV-E Prevention Program Information Available on the Children's Bureau Website
- Federal Handbook Sets Standards for Reviewing Programs Designed to Keep Families Together
- Letter From Jerry Milner to Child Welfare Leaders Regarding COVID-19
- Message on COVID-19 From the Children's Bureau
- April Is National Child Abuse Prevention Month
- This Is the Moment for Community
- Letter From Jerry Milner to Child Welfare Legal and Judicial Leaders
- 2019/2020 Prevention Resource Guide
- Children's Bureau Website Updates
We highlight a special section in the journal Prevention Science about research on community-based child maltreatment prevention programs and an article that focuses on the importance of parent education in preventing child sexual abuse.
This section of CBX offers publications, articles, reports, toolkits, and other resources that provide either evidence-based strategies or other concrete help to child welfare and related professionals.
This section of CBX provides a quick list of interesting resources, such as websites, videos, journals, funding or scholarship opportunities, or other materials that can be used in the field or with families.