January/February 2001Vol. 2, No. 1Stopping Child Maltreatment Before it Starts: Emerging Horizons in Early Home Visitation Services
Preventing abuse and neglect of children is the goal of early home visitation services. By delivering services to families during the perinatal period, social work professionals hope to promote positive parenting from the beginning, averting potential child maltreatment later. The author introduces the practice strategies of early home visitation services, evaluates them based on current scientific research, and makes recommendations for the future growth of the early prevention movement. The book covers:
- Developmental sequelae for maltreated children
- Origins of home visitation
- Core elements of service
- Linking families with community supports
- Screening problems
- Substance abuse and maltreatment risk
- Empowering parents through peer learning and role modeling
To purchase a copy, contact:
Sage Publications, Inc.
2455 Teller Rd.
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320-2218