April 2005Vol. 6, No. 3New Book Tackles Challenging Staffing Issues
A new book by S. A. Larson and A. S. Hewitt provides practical, research-based strategies to address today's workforce challenges in the human services. Staff Recruitment, Retention, and Training Strategies for Community Human Services Organizations is divided into five sections:
- Finding and hiring employees—recruitment and selection strategies
- Socializing and training employees—competency-based training, mentoring, and professionalization
- Motivating and supporting employees—staff recognition, creating and using teams, training supervisors
- Assessing problems and designing solutions—assessing workforce challenges, implementing strategies for change
- The bigger pictures—strategies for policy change
The book also includes a review of the literature, case studies, resources, and tools for managers to use as they address staffing issues within their own organization. The book is available at http://rtc.umn.edu/docs/Larson_and_Hewitt_Staff_rrt_book_U_of_MN_reprint_2012.pdf.