July/August 2006Vol. 7, No. 6Child Welfare Information Gateway Now Open!
The Children's Bureau's States and Tribes meeting provided the setting for the opening of Child Welfare Information Gateway on June 20. In a presentation that included remarks by Susan Orr, Associate Commissioner of the Children's Bureau, Child Welfare Information Gateway was presented to Federal staff and representatives from Tribal Social Services, Court Improvement Projects, and State CPS Programs from all over the nation.
With its debut, Child Welfare Information Gateway, a service of the Children's Bureau, is now offering its full spectrum of information services to child welfare and other professionals across the country. Information Gateway represents the consolidation and expansion of two federally mandated clearinghouses—the National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information and the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse. This consolidation allows for streamlined access to the resources that child welfare professionals need, all in one place.
Child Welfare Information Gateway connects professionals to information and resources on:
- Family-centered practice
- Preventing child abuse and neglect
- Child protection and investigation of abuse and neglect
- Family preservation and support services
- Temporary out-of-home care
- Permanency for children in foster care
- Different types of adoption
- Postadoption services
- Systemwide issues such as workforce training, the Child and Family Services Reviews, and court issues
Information Gateway provides professionals with easy access to:
- Statistics on child maltreatment, adoption, and child welfare
- Federal legislation and policies
- State laws and statutes
- Training resources
- Improving practices
These free services include:
- An online library with more than 48,000 documents
- More than 130 Information Gateway publications
- Knowledgeable staff to help customers by email or telephone
- Multiple subscription services
Visit Child Welfare Information Gateway today and stay connected!