September 2007Vol. 8, No. 8National Adoption Month Website
In anticipation of a successful and activity-filled National Adoption Month, the 2007 National Adoption Month website, funded by the Children's Bureau, is now available online. The website was developed and launched by the Adoption Exchange Association, the Collaboration to AdoptUsKids, and Child Welfare Information Gateway. Adoption agencies, parent groups, and States looking forward to November can get a head start planning their activities for the month.
This year's National Adoption Month theme builds on last year's campaign and incorporates the public service announcement campaign developed by the Ad Council. This year's tag line reads, "You don't have to be perfect to be a perfect parent. There are thousands of teens in foster care who would love to put up with you." In keeping with AdoptUsKids' recruitment materials, the website also encourages prospective adoptive parents to "answer the call" to give all children and youth the opportunity to live in safe, caring, and permanent homes.
Highlights of the 2007 National Adoption Month website include:
- Spanish resources for prospective adoptive parents, including the new and improved National Foster Care & Adoption Directory, searchable in Spanish
- A calendar that suggests activities for every day of the month
- Links to resources to assist professionals with achieving permanency for children and youth in foster care
- Resources for teachers
- Strategies, tools, and "answering the call" materials to help professionals recruit, prepare, and retain foster and adoptive families for children waiting for adoptive families
- Information on adopting older children, sibling groups, children from minority groups, and children with disabilities
Visit the website to begin planning your National Adoption Month activities: