July/August 2011Vol. 12, No. 6Serving Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Youth
The National Center for Lesbian Rights and the Sylvia Rivera Law Project have teamed to publish A Place of Respect: A Guide for Group Care Facilities Serving Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth. This guide offers tips for ensuring that transgender youth seeking services are treated fairly and not subjected to events that may be disrespectful or harmful. The guide tackles nine sample problems that are commonly faced by transgender or gender nonconforming youth and offers practical solutions that are easy to implement and that follow facility regulations.
The guide is broken into five sections:
- Understanding Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth
- The Challenges of Living With a Stigmatized Identity
- Group Care Facilities' Legal Responsibility to Treat Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth Fairly and Keep Them Safe
- Best Practices for Working With Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth
- Best Practices for Administrators for Changing Culture, Adopting Practice Guidelines and Policies, and Training and Evaluating Staff
The guide also includes a full appendix with definitions, resources, and an example of guidelines that are respectful of transgender and gender nonconforming youth.
The publication, by Jody Marksamer, with Dean Spade and Gabriel Arkles, can be downloaded from the National Center for Lesbian Rights website: