March 2016Vol. 17, No. 1A Guide to Child Protection Proceedings in Michigan
The Michigan Judicial Institute released its 4th edition of the Child Protective Proceedings Benchbook: A Guide to Abuse & Neglect. The main purpose of the document is to support judges and referees to manage child protective proceedings. It also provides material to all those participating in the child welfare system who are committed to improving the quality of life for children living in Michigan.
The benchbook outlines the required components of child protective proceedings, including:
- A general overview of child protection law
- Details on the reporting of suspected child abuse or neglect
- Investigating allegations of child abuse or neglect
- Procedures for acquiring physical custody of a child
- Establishing paternity for child protective proceedings
The tool will help those connected to the child welfare system learn how to prioritize the safety of children while considering and protecting the interests of parents.
Access the report via the Michigan Judicial Institute at http://courts.mi.gov/education/mji/Publications/Documents/Child-Protective-Proceedings.pdf (5 MB).