October 2023Vol. 24, No. 8Webinar Provides Strategies for Reaching and Engaging Families of Color
A webinar, "Racial Equity in Targeted Recruitment and Support: Strategies for Reaching and Engaging Families of Color," from AdoptUSKids explores the question, "How does our pool of families relate to racial equity?" It suggests that part of addressing racial equity is recruiting and supporting families that reflect the diversity of children waiting to be adopted and using data to identify disproportionality and disparity. Part of recruiting to address this need is using unique, culturally responsive strategies and authentically engaging communities of color to build relationship equity.
Tips for recruitment include the following:
- Include diverse members of the community in recruitment efforts
- Assess your agency's cultural competence
- Take time to build relationships in communities of color
- Emphasize and tailor efforts for the intended audience
- Enlist support from diverse churches
- Reach out to the types of people your agency has successfully recruited before
The webinar also provides a closer look at what directed recruitment practices look like, as well as an introduction to data and survey collection. Data and survey collection—and being able to use data effectively—are key tools in recruiting for racial equity.
Additional strategies for recruiting, supporting, developing, and training families are also discussed. Watch the 90-minute webinar to hear the conversation and access additional resources.